Monday 29 February 2016

Pleasure in Small Portions


Temples have been the focal points of many cultural landscapes since Mesopotamian times. Parthenon as a temple epitomizes the highest order of classical architecture. It has been built on top of a hill to depict its place in the spatial hierarchy of ancient Athens. Almost in parallel to the latter part of Greek civilization, ancient Sri Lankans built temples of gigantic proportions in the plains of Anuradhapura kingdom (377 BC – 1017 AD). Sometimes temples are placed on high grounds for greater emphasis and veneration. Such temples are dotting the cultural landscape of Sri Lanka. Similar landscapes can be seen in other Asian countries like Thailand, Lao, Cambodia and Vietnam.

                                                    Stupa at Mihintale, Sri Lanka, 7th Century AD
                                                                                                       (pic from Google)

During one of my visits to Hanoi city in Vietnam, a good old friend called Ngo Minh Hung accompanied me to see a tiny temple called ‘one pillar pagoda’. It is not spectacular in size but distinctive in terms of architectural value. Its importance to the Vietnamese is such that it often associates with the cultural image of the country. It is also regarded as one of the most iconic temples of Vietnam despite its size.


                                                                                                            (pics from Google)

One pillar pagoda has been built by the Emperor Ly Thai Tong who has ruled from 1024 -1054 AD. It was an offering to the Goddess of Mercy who bestowed him with a hair to the throne.  The pagoda is entirely a timber structure built on a single stone pillar. It has been designed to resemble a lotus blossom rising out of muddy water. Lotus blossom is the Buddhist symbol for enlightenment and muddy water symbolize the sorrows of life. What exists there today is a pagoda re-built by the government after it was destroyed in 1954 by the departing French occupiers.

It is not possible to enter this teeny-weeny 3 sq.m. pagoda, but it is a serene pleasure to watch it from the lush garden surrounding it. That is possible only if you do not get distracted by thousands of tourists who flock around it to get the best perspective. Undoubtedly, this little gem is the most admired architectural edifice in the city that also offers a concoction of French and Vietnamese architecture, myriad of lakes, lush green parks and tree lined streets. 
.
While my eyes were enjoying the pleasure of little doses of architecture, especially in the ancient quarter of Hanoi called “36 old streets”, the tongue was craving for some gastronomical pleasure. Hung accompanied me to a place he introduced as the oldest restaurant in Hanoi. Many tourists and locals flock to this 100 year old restaurant called ‘Cha Ca La Vong’ located on Cha Ca La Vong street, to enjoy a dish called Cha Ca La Vong. The street, premises and the dish happen to bear the same name. 


                                                                                                        (pics from Google)

In fact it is the only dish the restaurant offers and therefore there is no menu to choose from. We joined a line of about 15 people and waited on the sidewalk. Once we got our chance to enter the tiny restaurant through a rickety old staircase we saw a dining room full of diners. It was time to rub shoulders with some strangers at a communal dining table.

Minh did the ordering and I just enjoyed the cacophony of sounds and fragrant smell of the unique dish. Soon a waiter brought a burner and a skillet of pre-cooked fish and placed them in front of us. As Minh told me the dish consists of a local variety of catfish cooked with turmeric, shrimp paste, fish sauce and herbs following a secret recipe. The yellowish chunks of fish were served with plates of silky rice noodle, peanuts, chilies and a mix of fresh herbs. The last stage of cooking and assembly of the dish was in ‘do-it-yourself’ style. Minh did the cooking and I just enjoyed the flavorful dish.


                                                                                                       (pics from Google)

The popularity of the restaurant and its iconic dish is such that there are also imposters in nearby streets who offer competitive versions under look-alike names like “Cha Ca La Lvong”.     
Whenever I enjoyed a new dish in a foreign city I try to cook it. However, I didn’t dare to cook that unique dish. Instead, I tried to make one of my all-time favorite Vietnamese dishes.  


Lotus Stem Salad with Shrimps

Ingredients
Bunch of lotus stems (white ones) cleaned and washed  
10-12 shrimps de-shelled and de-veined (let tails on)
2” piece of carrot very thinly julienned
1 tbsp. lemon juice
½ tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. white vinegar
2 tbsp. light fish sauce
½ tsp salt
A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
2 red chili
Sprig of sweet basil leave
Few coriander leave with stems
Spring of mint leave
½ tbsp. dry roasted peanuts
½ tbsp. fried shallots

Preparation

Put lemon juice, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix until sugar and salt are dissolved. This is the sauce for the salad.
Julienne lotus stems, carrot and chili
Poach shrimps over medium heat with water and little bit of vinegar until they are just cooked.
Marinate shrimps in 1 tbsp. of sauce and 1 tbsp. of light fish sauce for 3minuts.
Marinate lotus stems, carrot, basil, mint, coriander and chili with the rest of the sauce.
Add marinated shrimp and remaining fish sauce into it and toss until well combined.
Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with roasted peanuts and fried shallot to garnish.


22 comments:

  1. Every weekend i used to pay a visit this web page,
    because i wish for enjoyment, since this this website conations really pleasant funny data too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Havіng read this I thought it was realⅼy enlightening.

    I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this short artіcle
    togеther. I once again find myself spending way too much time botһ
    reading and leaving ϲomments. But so ԝhat, it was still
    worth it!
    look what i found : Times Are Changing: How
    To Locқ Files New Skills

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm rеalⅼy inspired along with your writing skills
    and also with the format for your ƅlog. Is that this a рaid subject
    or dіd yoս customize it yoᥙr ѕelf? Anyway ѕtay
    up tһe nice high quality writing, it is uncommon to loօk a great blog like this one nowadays..


    reference : Times Are Changing: How Tо Lock Files New Skills

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, awesome weblog structure! How lengthy have you been blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. The whole look of your site
    is wonderful, let alone the content material!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon every
    day. It will always be exciting to read through content
    from other writers and use a little something from other web sites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's actually a nice and helpful piece of info.
    I'm satisfied that you just shared this useful information with us.
    Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This article will help the internet people for creating new website or even a weblog from start to end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the helpful information you provide in your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly.
    I'm quite sure I'll learn lots of new stuff right here!
    Best of luck for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really loving the theme/design of your site. Do you ever
    run into any browser compatibility problems? A small number of my blog visitors have complained
    about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari.
    Do you have any ideas to help fix this issue?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for some other informative website. The
    place else may I am getting that type of info written in such a perfect means?

    I have a undertaking that I am simply now operating on,
    and I have been on the look out for such info.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you are a great author.

    I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will come back sometime
    soon. I want to encourage you continue your great job, have a nice
    afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for
    you? Plz respond as I'm looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got this from.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up?
    I'm assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not 100% positive.
    Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Appreciate it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for some other informative website. The place else may
    just I am getting that type of info written in such
    a perfect manner? I've a venture that I'm just
    now running on, and I've been at the look out for such info.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for any other great post. The place else may anyone get
    that type of information in such a perfect way of writing?

    I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am on the search for such info.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would
    be ok. I'm undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there, I found your web site by means of Google while searching
    for a similar topic, your web site got here up,
    it appears good. I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.


    Hello there, just become alert to your weblog via Google, and found that it is truly informative.

    I am going to watch out for brussels. I will appreciate if you happen to proceed this in future.
    Numerous people will be benefited from your
    writing. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your mode of describing all in this article is
    really good, every one be able to without difficulty be aware of it, Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to
    and you're just too magnificent. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly
    like what you're stating and the way in which you say it.

    You make it entertaining and you still take care
    of to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read much more from
    you. This is actually a terrific website.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi I am so excited I found your site, I really found you by mistake, while I was
    researching on Aol for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say thanks a
    lot for a fantastic post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at the minute but I have saved
    it and also added your RSS feeds, so when I have
    time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up
    the great b.

    ReplyDelete
  21. After going over a handful of the blog articles on your web
    page, I seriously appreciate your technique of writing a blog.
    I book marked it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back in the near future.
    Please visit my website as well and let me know your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I every time used to read paragraph in news papers but now as I am a user of net therefore from now I am using net for posts, thanks to web.

    ReplyDelete